The Cost of Flying
Our airline services industry is critical to growing New Zealand’s economy and society.
BARNZ wants to foster an environment that supports airline growth in New Zealand. For this to happen, we need:
- Border charges and traveller taxes to be as low as possible to keep New Zealand affordable for airlines and travellers; and
- New Zealand airport charges to be fair, and regulatory settings to encourage this.
This fact sheet provides a factual snapshot of where costs lie in air travel today. It explains:
- what’s happening with costs in the Airlines industry globally;
- the costs that go into an airline ticket and how these are split between airline and non-airline charges;
- that although airlines are keeping costs down, Government taxes and levies per visitor are going up; and
- how government can support airlines in New Zealand.